Custom forms

Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla

Custom forms

Hi, all.

I'm currently involved in several global non-profit projects, and I'm
currently looking for a kind of framework where custom web forms can
somehow be easily created (I hope I have described correctly the idea),
and egw has some approach, but I'm not sure how good it is without
further template development. Let me expose one example to find out how
good it is (or not).

Let's take that for one project a form with custom fields is needed, in
order to just enter data (processing will come later, but looks like
it's the easy part). Specifically, I need:
1) A way to enter some data (just a few fields, including country and
date of birth) for people (it might be treated as contact, resource or
something else).
2) Then, from a custom form, I need two *different* "fields" to search
and link previously entered people (take the two persons something
similar to "host" and "guest", or "reporter" and "assigned to").
3) In the same form, there will be some extra text fields with no
special handling.

The data in the form is one record, and there will be many thousands of
records. Entering data will be a hard work, and there will be many
people in many places entering it (that's why a framework is needed).
Maybe even the users can be restricted the queues/categories, etc they
can create records into, or a per user default assigned.

Then, a query method for the recorded data is needed. I have in mind the
tracker form, capable to filter data (I'm thinking right now that every
record could be even a tracker item), and it would be even better that
every record could be treated in a way that a status could be assigned.
Except for this last, the query will be mostly with a merely statistical
purpose, i.e., to get just a number of records with the specified
criteria, more than the details themselves.

Well, I might be forgetting something, but at this time, this is the
most relevant I'm able to think right now. I would like to have a
prototype for next thursday evening, but if it's not possible, it could
wait another week, unless you advice to forget egw for this. In this
latter case, I'd like to know other possibilities.

I forgot to mention that I intend to have full access to the server, so
if some operation is needed, this should be no problem.

Thanks in advance.

- --
| http://counter.li.org info: Linux user: 92390 - Linux machine: 39301 |
|        Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla - omgsATescomposlinux.org        |
|                 GPG Key at http://keyserver.pgp.com                  |

Re: Custom forms

2012/4/23 Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, all.
>

> I'm currently involved in several global non-profit projects, and I'm
> currently looking for a kind of framework where custom web forms can
> somehow be easily created (I hope I have described correctly the idea),
> 1) A way to enter some data (just a few fields, including country and
> date of birth) for people (it might be treated as contact, resource or
> something else).
> 2) Then, from a custom form, I need two *different* "fields" to search
> and link previously entered people (take the two persons something
> similar to "host" and "guest", or "reporter" and "assigned to").
> 3) In the same form, there will be some extra text fields with no
> special handling.

Country & D.O.B. suggest you may want to use addressbook as your base.
It is possible to make custom forms and remove fields you don't want.
If you name the fields the same, it should all just work.  I think you
can even create a special contact 'type', for use for this data so you
can keep addressbook working for regular contacts too, but I don't
know how (or even if it's possible for certain).

For additional fields (2,3), you can use custom fields of type -
Addressbook to link to existing addressbook entries in any app, so
tracker, infolog etc. whichever one suits best.

Nathan Gray escribió:

> 2012/4/23 Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> I'm currently involved in several global non-profit projects, and I'm
>> currently looking for a kind of framework where custom web forms can
>> somehow be easily created (I hope I have described correctly the idea),
>> 1) A way to enter some data (just a few fields, including country and
>> date of birth) for people (it might be treated as contact, resource or
>> something else).
>> 2) Then, from a custom form, I need two *different* "fields" to search
>> and link previously entered people (take the two persons something
>> similar to "host" and "guest", or "reporter" and "assigned to").
>> 3) In the same form, there will be some extra text fields with no
>> special handling.

Hi, Nathan.

> Country & D.O.B. suggest you may want to use addressbook as your base.
> It is possible to make custom forms and remove fields you don't want.
> If you name the fields the same, it should all just work.  I think you
> can even create a special contact 'type', for use for this data so you
> can keep addressbook working for regular contacts too, but I don't
> know how (or even if it's possible for certain).
>
> For additional fields (2,3), you can use custom fields of type -
> Addressbook to link to existing addressbook entries in any app, so
> tracker, infolog etc. whichever one suits best.

First of all, thanks for your reply and help. Then, I don't think that
sticking only in addressbook is an option, because "a set of people" is
just one step for the target. One person can appear several times in the
records, and even play not only one of the two possible roles that are
part (fields) of every record. But the best point of addressbook is the
country selection list, so I don't know if there's an easy way to get
this list in another element, including a custom field.

Finally, every record needs to have a kind of status, and I think that
theorically the best app to manage this is tracker. So, I wonder if
there could be a chance to link from tracker to every field of the
record, even in order to query to get statistics. If not, maybe a
minimal app or form could be designed for this, and it's surely the most
important part at the end of the hard work.

I'm a bit outdated about egw development, but if this is understood, I
wonder if there's some tutorial about using egw to design such custom
apps/forms.

Regards.

- --
| http://counter.li.org info: Linux user: 92390 - Linux machine: 39301 |
|        Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla - omgsATescomposlinux.org        |
|                 GPG Key at http://keyserver.pgp.com                  |

Ralf Becker Stylite AG Ralf Becker Stylite AG

Re: Custom forms

Hi Oscar,

long time no see :-)

Am 25.04.12 10:15, schrieb Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla:

> Nathan Gray escribió:
>> 2012/4/23 Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla<[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> I'm currently involved in several global non-profit projects, and I'm
>>> currently looking for a kind of framework where custom web forms can
>>> somehow be easily created (I hope I have described correctly the idea),
>>> 1) A way to enter some data (just a few fields, including country and
>>> date of birth) for people (it might be treated as contact, resource or
>>> something else).
>>> 2) Then, from a custom form, I need two *different* "fields" to search
>>> and link previously entered people (take the two persons something
>>> similar to "host" and "guest", or "reporter" and "assigned to").
>>> 3) In the same form, there will be some extra text fields with no
>>> special handling.
>
> Hi, Nathan.
>
>> Country&  D.O.B. suggest you may want to use addressbook as your base.
>> It is possible to make custom forms and remove fields you don't want.
>> If you name the fields the same, it should all just work.  I think you
>> can even create a special contact 'type', for use for this data so you
>> can keep addressbook working for regular contacts too, but I don't
>> know how (or even if it's possible for certain).
>>
>> For additional fields (2,3), you can use custom fields of type -
>> Addressbook to link to existing addressbook entries in any app, so
>> tracker, infolog etc. whichever one suits best.
>

> First of all, thanks for your reply and help. Then, I don't think that
> sticking only in addressbook is an option, because "a set of people" is
> just one step for the target. One person can appear several times in the
> records, and even play not only one of the two possible roles that are
> part (fields) of every record. But the best point of addressbook is the
> country selection list, so I don't know if there's an easy way to get
> this list in another element, including a custom field.
>
> Finally, every record needs to have a kind of status, and I think that
> theorically the best app to manage this is tracker. So, I wonder if
> there could be a chance to link from tracker to every field of the
> record, even in order to query to get statistics. If not, maybe a
> minimal app or form could be designed for this, and it's surely the most
> important part at the end of the hard work.
>
> I'm a bit outdated about egw development, but if this is understood, I
> wonder if there's some tutorial about using egw to design such custom
> apps/forms.

I would try it with InfoLog with new custom types for each form.

InfoLog uses infolog.edit.$type if it finds it for editing and
infolog.index.$type if index is filtered by $type.

Stylite AG

Morschheimer Strasse 15 | Tel. +49 6352 70629 0
D-67292 Kirchheimbolanden | Fax. +49 6352 70629 30

Email: [hidden email]

www.stylite.de | www.egroupware.org

Managing Directors: Andre Keller | Ralf Becker | Gudrun Mueller
Chairman of the supervisory board: Prof. Dr. Birger Leon Kropshofer

VAT DE214280951 | Registered HRB 31158 Kaiserslautern Germany