Introduction Philip Herbert

pherbert pherbert

Introduction Philip Herbert

Hello,

my name is Philip Herbert. I work as a freelance project manager for a regionally operarting company
in Bonn, Germany. This customer was not using a Groupware Solution at all, instead there where several attempts with
simple webcalendars. Of course everyone was asking for a Groupware with synchronisation. When looking for an easy to start
with solution with lots of potential I ended up having a closer look at eGroupware, focussing on the sync stuff.

It seemed that in a very basic scenario (1 or 2 supported devices at the user side), everything really worked well.
A presentation of the entire eGroupware at Stylite convinced us to go ahead.
In the mean time I had read on the list, that the former project member maintaining the sync code had left the project.
I started to work myself into the sync code to be prepared to be able to support the users in case there would be problems
coming up. At this stage I started to run a few tests with Funambol Iphone and Outlook Sync because this was what users where
asking for on the list.

My passion always has been to work myself into technical details at low level, so I ended up spending quite a bit of
time analyzing what was happening in the background, and of course finding potential problems that I did not want to see
on our users devices.

At this stage I had already aprox. 30 Users using sync without any severe problems in daily use.

Release 1.6 was on the way ( the first release candidate was out) and I started to fix some problems that where causing
issues. This resulted in a patch that ended up in the 1.6 Release.

Since then I had a lot of ideas and was experimenting, but the exceptionally high effort for testing, the lack of
usable feedback and the fact that things where working well at the local site prevented me from going ahead.

Now Jörg has really put a lot of work into the sync code and I believe that not being the only person working on the
Sync code is again a very good starting point for future development.

I believe that an easy to use, out of the box working sync solution is every important for the eGroupware Project.

--Philip

Philip Herbert
Carl Knauber Holding GmbH & Co KG

address Endenicher Strasse 120-140, 53115 Bonn, Germany
email [hidden email]
direct +49 228 512 420
fax    +49 228 512 9420
mobile +49 177 2488073

information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.
Leithoff, Klaus Leithoff, Klaus

Re: Introduction Philip Herbert

Hi Philip,
welcome, good to have you with us.
Ciao
Klausi

--
Stylite GmbH
[ open style of IT ]

fon 06352 . 70629-0
fax 06352 . 70629-30
www.stylite.de

Handelsregister Kaiserslautern HRB 30575
Geschäftsführer: Andre Keller, Gudrun Müller, Nigel Vickers, Ralf Becker

Stefan Becker Stefan Becker

Re: Introduction Philip Herbert

I also welcome you and Jörg to the project.

Best Regards

Stefan

Philip Herbert schrieb:

> [...]
>
> I believe that an easy to use, out of the box working sync solution is every important for the eGroupware Project.
>

> --Philip

> Philip Herbert
> Carl Knauber Holding GmbH & Co KG
>
> address Endenicher Strasse 120-140, 53115 Bonn, Germany
> email [hidden email]
> direct +49 228 512 420
> fax    +49 228 512 9420
> mobile +49 177 2488073
>
> This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
> information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to
> receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
> disclose or take any action based on this message or any
> information herein. If you have received this message in
> error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
> and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

D-67292 Kirchheimbolanden

fon +49 (0)6352 . 70629-0
fax +49 (0)6352 . 70629-30
mailto: [hidden email]

Geschäftsführer: Nigel J. Vickers, Andre Keller,Gudrun Müller und Ralf Becker
Registergericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 30575
USt-ID: DE214280951

www.stylite.de