Mail autocompletion not working

Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla

Mail autocompletion not working

Hi.

I'm using egw 14.2 (not EPL) and apart from what I wrote some days ago,
I find now the mail autocompletion for email addresses is not working as
I expect. I'm just testing in a local sandbox, and have my account and
the three demo users, having each one an own email address. I can send
mail, but when typing in the "To:" box, I can see "please type X more
characters" up to three, but no matter what I do, no autocompletion is
done. But when typing the third character, I can see two small icons but
no idea what they are for. I've tried clicking, double-clicking, right
clicking, but I'm unable to make autocompletion work.

I have watched the video tutorials, and find two (basic) differences:
the mentioned autocompletion itself, and a listbox on top of
¿emailadmin? which I'm unable to see. Are the videos EPL-only? If so,
what are the main differences in mail between EPL and community version?

Regards.

| http://counter.li.org info: Linux user: 92390 - Linux machine: 39301 |
|        Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla - omgsATescomposlinux.org        |
|                 GPG Key at http://keyserver.pgp.com                  |

Re: Mail autocompletion not working

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

I'm using egw 14.2 (not EPL) and apart from what I wrote some days ago,
I find now the mail autocompletion for email addresses is not working as
I expect.

The suggestions are from addressbook.  You can try searching directly there to see what should be shown.
If addressbook finds a match, we might have to start debugging.

Nathan Gray escribió:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla
>
>     Hi.
>

>     I'm using egw 14.2 (not EPL) and apart from what I wrote some days ago,
>     I find now the mail autocompletion for email addresses is not working as
>     I expect.

> The suggestions are from addressbook.  You can try searching directly
> there to see what should be shown.
> If addressbook finds a match, we might have to start debugging.

Hi, Nathan.

Addressbook search works ok. What's the proper way to debug this?

Thanks is advance.

| http://counter.li.org info: Linux user: 92390 - Linux machine: 39301 |
|        Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla - omgsATescomposlinux.org        |
|                 GPG Key at http://keyserver.pgp.com                  |

Re: Mail autocompletion not working

Ok, I'll assume you're using Chrome, if not adjust as needed.  I'll go through the expected results, hopefully you can identify where things go wrong.

- Open a mail compose window, then Ctrl+Shift+J to open Chrome Dev tools.
- Change to Network tab, and filter by XHR
- In the Mail window, type your search - at least 3 characters

This should trigger the query, and one line should appear in your Dev tools network tab:
json.php?menuaction=home.etemplate_widget_taglist.ajax_email.etemplate&query=...&include_lists=true

Click on that line, then the 'Preview tab' to see what actually comes back.  It should be an array of results like:
{id: ""Test Guy (Chrome Test Org)" <[hidden email]>",label: "Test Guy",...}
Each result should have id, label, name and title.

Hopefully we've hit the problem by now, but if not, change to Sources tab and find phpgwapi/js/jquery/magicsuggest/magicsuggest.js.
Put a breakpoint on line 851:
var sortedData = cfg.mode === 'remote' ? _cbData : self._sortAndTrim(_cbData);
then try a search again.  Step through, and if _cbData has the correct results, keep stepping.

Nathan

Nathan Gray escribió:

> Ok, I'll assume you're using Chrome, if not adjust as needed.  I'll go
> through the expected results, hopefully you can identify where things go
> wrong.
>
> - Open a mail compose window, then Ctrl+Shift+J to open Chrome Dev tools.
> - Change to Network tab, and filter by XHR
> - In the Mail window, type your search - at least 3 characters
>
> This should trigger the query, and one line should appear in your Dev
> tools network tab:
> json.php?menuaction=home.etemplate_widget_taglist.ajax_email.etemplate&query=...&include_lists=true
>
> Click on that line, then the 'Preview tab' to see what actually comes
> back.  It should be an array of results like:
> {id: ""Test Guy (Chrome Test Org)" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>",label: "Test Guy",...}
> Each result should have id, label, name and title.
>
> Hopefully we've hit the problem by now, but if not, change to Sources
> tab and find phpgwapi/js/jquery/magicsuggest/magicsuggest.js.
> Put a breakpoint on line 851:
> var sortedData = cfg.mode === 'remote' ? _cbData :
> self._sortAndTrim(_cbData);
> then try a search again.  Step through, and if _cbData has the correct
> results, keep stepping.

Hi, Nathan.

I've taken some time to manage this kind of debug. I use firefox, but
I've installed chromium, too, in order to make sure to follow your steps.

I've been able to identify the exact snippet of rendered code
corresponding to the search, and the return is always "No suggestions".
Also, in the scripts in dev tools, there's none in magicsuggests, so I
haven't been able to set the breakpoint.

I'm suspecting that I have to enable something for this to work. But
there are two warnings in the console, not sure if related, about
deprecated calls in egw.js to "console.timeline" and "console.timelineEnd".

I've tested this in both egw 14.2 and trunk under linux, with ubuntu
15.04 as server.

Regards.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nathan Gray escribió:
> Ok, I'll assume you're using Chrome, if not adjust as needed.  I'll go
> through the expected results, hopefully you can identify where things go
> wrong.
>
> - Open a mail compose window, then Ctrl+Shift+J to open Chrome Dev tools.
> - Change to Network tab, and filter by XHR
> - In the Mail window, type your search - at least 3 characters
>
> This should trigger the query, and one line should appear in your Dev
> tools network tab:
> json.php?menuaction=home.etemplate_widget_taglist.ajax_email.etemplate&query=...&include_lists=true
>
> Click on that line, then the 'Preview tab' to see what actually comes
> back.  It should be an array of results like:
> {id: ""Test Guy (Chrome Test Org)" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>",label: "Test Guy",...}
> Each result should have id, label, name and title.

I've taken some time to manage this kind of debug. I use firefox, but
I've installed chromium, too, in order to make sure to follow your steps.

I've been able to identify the exact snippet of rendered code
corresponding to the search, and the return is always "No suggestions".

You should get an empty array in the network results then, like:
[]
This leads me to suspect that the issue is on the server, so we'll go there now to
mail/inc/class.mail_compose.inc.php, in function ajax_searchAddress().
Unfortunately, you'll have to go through that function to try and pinpoint where it goes wrong.