Quantcast

Membership in the SFC/SFLC

Milosch Milosch

Membership in the SFC/SFLC

On behalf of Ralf Becker, Pim Snel, Miles Lott:

The administrative staff have been discussing again recently ways to
protect the name eGroupWare in addition to establishing some sort of
official structure via association or incorporation.  The latter is not
such a popular idea and is perhaps a bit extreme.  Also, it was felt
that joining the FSF might be complicated if not impossible.

The Software Freedom Conservancy and the Software Freedom Law Center are
two closely-affiliated organizations which  are setup specifically to
provide all the benefits of a corporate entity as well as legal
protection to opensource projects.  We are considering becoming members
of both organizations as a project.  Samba and Wine are two examples of
other projects who have become members of the conservancy, so we would
be in good company.  The Conservancy provides for a corporate structure
without our having to incorporate on our own.  The SFLC is there to
provide pro-bono (free) legal advice and perhaps representation.

Please take a few minutes to review the following websites and let us
know what you think.  As an open project, we would like to hear from our
core group especially for such a big decision.  Our membership would not
be automatic, i.e. there would be a review process.  But, I had
attempted to start these discussions several months ago, at which time
they expressed their interest in having us as a member project.

We would like to begin the process no later than the beginning of next
week if there are no complaints.  Please reply to the list or, if you
like, to [hidden email].

Software Freedom Conservancy:
http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

Software Freedom Law Center:
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/

Leithoff, Klaus Leithoff, Klaus

Re: Membership in the SFC/SFLC

In a way that seems to be an uncomplicated way to handle stuff.
I trust you guys, if you think that this might help easing the
burdon of administration of such a flea circus as we may be one
from time to time. If it helps to clear name rights and such
legal stuff matters, it certainly seems to be a good idea.
>From my point of view: proceed.
Regards
Klaus