Problem with translation

Ivo Karabojkov Ivo Karabojkov

Problem with translation

Dear Sirs,

I am very happy to join the translation team of Е-GroupWare. I think this project has great potential and future. I am not very great in software development, so I think this is my way to help. I can contribute in Bulgarian language translation.

I have trouble with translation tools. When I load Bulgarian language i get question marks (?) on already translated phrases (see the enclosed picture). I use charset Windows-1251 (standard for Bulgarian language), this is charset for my database too.

May someone give me a suggestion?

Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla

Re: Problem with translation

Ivo Karabojkov escribió:
> Dear Sirs,

Hi, Ivo.

> I am very happy to join the translation team of Е-GroupWare. I think
> this project has great potential and future. I am not very great in
> software development, so I think this is my way to help. I can
> contribute in Bulgarian language translation.
>
> I have trouble with translation tools. When I load Bulgarian language i
> get question marks (?) on already translated phrases (see the enclosed
> picture). I use charset Windows-1251 (standard for Bulgarian language),
> this is charset for my database too.
>
> May someone give me a suggestion?

First of all, I want to make sure you read
http://www.egroupware.org/wiki?wikipage=Translation+manager+and+Team
where you'll find the reason why you're experiencing a charset problem.

Then, your case again illustrates the reason of the major change that
was made some months ago (for trunk branch only, which will be taken as
basis for next stable release): force to switch all language files to
use utf-8 charset. Another major (but theorically transparent) is to
migrate all files from phpgw_ prefix to egw_ prefix. But these changes
are still being tested before hardcoding them as necessary, so that's
the reason why, even if using trunk, you're still "having problems" when
not using utf-8. So, the short answer is "please, use utf-8 for your
language files" (this shouldn't change your data in the db).

So, at this time, the guidelines for contributing translating (I'll try
to update the wiki with this) are:

- - Read the wiki page (itself :) )
- - Try to use the current trunk way (i.e., egw_ prefix and utf-8), and an
installation as updated as possible.
- - Try to not bind to 1.4 (released many months ago). I don't know if
there will be some release in the stable branch after 1.4.002, but if
yes, it's very unlikely that new translations are expected at this time
for non-english users, regardless the extra work it is necessary for
porting accordingly.

So please after following these steps, mail me privately for some extra
info that can make your contribution more nice and out of headaches.

Regards.

- --

| http://counter.li.org info: Linux user: 92390 - Linux machine: 39301 |
|        Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla - omgsATescomposlinux.org        |
|               GPG Key at http://pgp.escomposlinux.org                |