pERP active development

WLD WLD

pERP active development

Hi folks,

Following on to the message from PCS-List, it is indeed sad news to hear that Blue Falls Manufacturing has axed all the staff working on pERP.  Regarding the statement that there are now no paid resources working on the project, this isn't true.  I'm currently being paid to develop eGW+pERP for my manufacturing/retail client.  Some of these changes are quite extensive, and I've given an overview on my wiki http://www.projecterp.org/mediawiki/index.php/User:Wld user page.

Sadly the process to become an eGW contributor is slow and convoluted at best so I am maintaining my own separate source and pulling in their changes to supplement my own, rather than trying to publish my changes to the official eGW project.  The same is currently true of my changes to pERP, however my plan is to back-port these changes to the pERP repository after my testing on the changes is complete, which for various components will be any time from a few weeks to a few months now.

Some of the changes I would like to contribute require upgrades to eGW, which simply won't work against the stock eGW without my contributions there also.  So it's going to take some effort to go through and upload only the pERP changes which aren't reliant on my eGW upgrades.

As my work on pERP is currently fully commercially driven, it's not practical or acceptable to wait for a sponsor/mentor on the eGW project, which would slow down the development work I'm successfully carrying out to date.  However, as I'm very much becoming a fan of eGW+pERP it's likely that after my current client job is completed I would seek such a sponsor and begin contribution of my upgrades when the pressure of timescales isn't so prevalent.

Additionally, I have been creating training materials, training exercises, help guides and other content to train users on pERP and the common eGW applications they will encounter.  eGW has quite extensive documentation but pERP is sadly lacking.  As the content is currently being refined for my latest client I hope to contribute this back also when my current job is completed.

Kindest regards,
Paul/WLD

Justin F. Hallett Justin F. Hallett

Re: pERP active development

That is great news, I was very very sad to see this project come to an end, and even sadder to think it wouldn't be continued, Nathan himself has made such an amazing product.  We have since gone with a commercial product, that in my opinion can't do anything pERP couldn't and I think in many ways pERP was better.  But with out the proper resources we couldn't finish it, and without the testing and maturity that goes with testing and training I couldn't convince them to continue.

That being said I continue to host it and will be happy to help in that area as much as I can. And I'd love to see pERP succeed in not only for personal satisfaction.  Our current solution is very very costly, and very limited as such.  I'd love to see pERP mature and even get the acknowledgement it and Nathan deserve.  I should use community here but Nathan has done so much of it on his own to get to this point.
---
Justin F. Hallett
Blue Falls Manufacturing Ltd.
I.T. Manager
http://www.goarctic.com/
Tel: (780) 789-2626 ext.323
Cel: (780) 935-9771
Fax: (780) 789-2624

On 2010-02-14, at 12:23 PM, WLD wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Following on to the message from PCS-List, it is indeed sad news to hear that Blue Falls Manufacturing has axed all the staff working on pERP.  Regarding the statement that there are now no paid resources working on the project, this isn't true.  I'm currently being paid to develop eGW+pERP for my manufacturing/retail client.  Some of these changes are quite extensive, and I've given an overview on my wiki http://www.projecterp.org/mediawiki/index.php/User:Wld user page.
>
> Sadly the process to become an eGW contributor is slow and convoluted at best so I am maintaining my own separate source and pulling in their changes to supplement my own, rather than trying to publish my changes to the official eGW project.  The same is currently true of my changes to pERP, however my plan is to back-port these changes to the pERP repository after my testing on the changes is complete, which for various components will be any time from a few weeks to a few months now.
>
> Some of the changes I would like to contribute require upgrades to eGW, which simply won't work against the stock eGW without my contributions there also.  So it's going to take some effort to go through and upload only the pERP changes which aren't reliant on my eGW upgrades.
>
> As my work on pERP is currently fully commercially driven, it's not practical or acceptable to wait for a sponsor/mentor on the eGW project, which would slow down the development work I'm successfully carrying out to date.  However, as I'm very much becoming a fan of eGW+pERP it's likely that after my current client job is completed I would seek such a sponsor and begin contribution of my upgrades when the pressure of timescales isn't so prevalent.
>
> Additionally, I have been creating training materials, training exercises, help guides and other content to train users on pERP and the common eGW applications they will encounter.  eGW has quite extensive documentation but pERP is sadly lacking.  As the content is currently being refined for my latest client I hope to contribute this back also when my current job is completed.
>
> Kindest regards,
> Paul/WLD

WLD WLD

Re: pERP active development

Hi Justin,

Yes I fully agree that Nathan has done a fantastic job with pERP.  I'm well experienced in a great many high-end ERP and financials systems and I'm confident that it's just a matter of under a few years before pERP could be a serious contender in that field.  This does also require that eGW is enhanced a little, but having looked at their project road-map I believe this will happen within that time span.  There will have to be a bit more of a break away from the web-only interface to pERP data, which is something I have been exploring to support the remote barcode scanning and printing devices that must interface with my latest project.  Due to the good separation of SO, BO and UI this is going to be very easy which actually positions pERP closer to the requirements of a high-end system.  Maybe even closer than Nathan may realise.

As you so rightly mentioned, using a system along the lines of this level of complexity does certainly require more than just the actual software to be running.  I identified quite early on that if I was going to use pERP, I would have to fill in some big gaps; namely: a legacy migration path, formal testing procedures, accountability and compliance tweaks, user training and documentation, support procedures, and others.  But this is the sort of stuff that naturally comes with product maturity.

I look forward to contributing these things back in to the community so we can all take a step forwards on this journey of developing an ERP system, wherever that may take us in the future!

Out of curiosity, what system are you using in place of eGW+pERP and what are the primary costs you're finding being imposed on you?

Kindest regards,
Paul/WLD

On Sunday 14 Feb 2010 20:01:04 Justin F. Hallett wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > As my work on pERP is currently fully commercially driven, it's not practical or acceptable to wait for a sponsor/mentor on the eGW project, which would slow down the development work I'm successfully carrying out to date.  However, as I'm very much becoming a fan of eGW+pERP it's likely that after my current client job is completed I would seek such a sponsor and begin contribution of my upgrades when the pressure of timescales isn't so prevalent.
> >
> > Additionally, I have been creating training materials, training exercises, help guides and other content to train users on pERP and the common eGW applications they will encounter.  eGW has quite extensive documentation but pERP is sadly lacking.  As the content is currently being refined for my latest client I hope to contribute this back also when my current job is completed.

Re: pERP active development

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM, WLD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I fully agree that Nathan has done a fantastic job with pERP.

Nice to have my work appreciated, thank you.
I've looked at your 'Developments' section, and I'm excited that
pERP's almost to the point where such amazing features can be added.
The barcode/RFID scanning and Asterisk integration in particular are
things I really would like to see.  I had just gotten to using
barcodes and a wifi handheld to update work orders...

Cosme Corrêa Cosme Corrêa

Re: pERP active development

I am very happy with these news.

What can I offer, if and when necessary:
- hosting
  - an EGW+PERP installation
  - wiki, tickets, mail, chat.....
- some organization
  - documentation
  - accounts management
- infra
- some experience skill installing PERP
- some knowledge with ThinClients. Paul, write to me. We can talk about this
- some knowlegde about NATO code stock system.

What I would like to have:
- understand "Who are we?"
- understand "What do we need?"
- understand "What can we do?"
- understand "Who can do what?"

I think we must talk about this:
http://old.nabble.com/All-efforts-are-necessary-td27519399.html

Nathan Gray-7 wrote
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM, WLD <ml-egwperp@white-label-dev.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes I fully agree that Nathan has done a fantastic job with pERP.

Nice to have my work appreciated, thank you.
I've looked at your 'Developments' section, and I'm excited that
pERP's almost to the point where such amazing features can be added.
The barcode/RFID scanning and Asterisk integration in particular are
things I really would like to see.  I had just gotten to using
barcodes and a wifi handheld to update work orders...

WLD WLD

Re: pERP active development

Hi Nathan,

eGW has already made some progress with Asterisk integration but I feel that it's not really at the point where it's of a grade professional enough to be integrated with a real enterprise infrastructure, and support a complex dial plan.  Also it wouldn't allow the system to access pERP data so unattended and automated services could be configured to let callers access details on orders, shipments etc. and have them enunciated or amended without requiring the caller to speak to an operator.  For all organisations these queries are extremely common, and a large organisation could look to make significant savings with these features which I think should be an important goal on a pERP/Asterisk road-map.

With regards to tagging, any RFID work I do will probably be some time off, maybe next year.  Simply my current clients don't deal with FMCG so the increased cost of using RFID to barcodes isn't justifiable at the moment.  That being said, everything I do is always mindful of the likely future uses.  I'm already using handheld devices to access eGW+pERP but this is simply displaying the web interface on a small portable device, and isn't the end goal of what I'd look to develop.

My current client will be purchasing a large warehouse some time towards the end of this year and I will be working to develop handheld systems which will feature barcode scanners (and later on as mentioned, RFID scanners too) and label printers.  They will ultimately have a customised efficient interface for a few key business functions; namely shipping (picking/packing, inventory management) and logistics (consignment tracking) which directly access pERP data through the BO.

The exact format of this isn't fixed yet and will depend on the market offerings at the time this functionality is developed.  Ideally the platform will be relatively open, even if proprietary - as Windows embedded devices are by far the most common platforms for these things.  But any micro Linux or Windows platform would be acceptable to me as I tend to avoid platforms which aren't open or common enough.  Even though I am by far exclusively a *nix developer, I have developed some Windows Mobile applications with success.  I just hope somebody in the community would be able to help improve my code.  I'm confident I can get it to work, but I'm equally as confident there will be ways to improve on what I cobble together!

Kindest regards,
Paul/WLD