Quantcast

pERP trunk + EGW 1.8 + insufficient initial data = ... Also: wiki page not found, Also : what is a 'sequence' ???

el_es el_es

pERP trunk + EGW 1.8 + insufficient initial data = ... Also: wiki page not found, Also : what is a 'sequence' ???

Hi Developers, Nathan,

The story of pERP (trunk this time) and EGW CE 1.8 continues...

I am still battling this, I really, really don't want to be forced to
go into OpenERP (aka TinyERP)...

Thanks to Nathan pointing out, the instructions of installing pERP can be found,
even though here :
http://www.projecterp.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Site_Installation&oldid=4734

Hereby I'd like to put out a heads up, that http://www.projecterp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Site_Installation
still leads to a 'bug' page!

Now, I haven't still entered all minimum data required and/or haven't configured
access permissions correctly*, and that's a cause of what I am experiencing
[generating stock take sheets and entering the actual number of items on stock,
does nothing - I have created account sections, and accounts, but no sequences]

*(but I am still in the stage of doing everything as sysop anyway)

There goes the first question : what is a sequence and what does it mean? Why do I need it?

Also, as spoken to Nathan privately : here is a suggestion/question:
Could some sort of default settings be provided for the 'minimum data required' to ease off
the burden of e.g. demonstration installation off people who have never had anything
to do with accounting and so on ?

[Phone call : It's the boss. '...' yes I can show you what pERP is about. '...' But no, it won't be
ready to show within 30 minutes. '...?!' More like 2-3 hours if other duties allow. '...!!!' OOps.].
vs.
[Phone call : It's the boss. '...' yes I can show you what pERP is about. '...' Yes say 15 min for
a demo install and 15 min before I gather some real life demo data from the office? '...' OK, will do.]

i.e. if the pERP install wizard could offer a choice of some sane defaults, even if it requires visiting
the wizard at least once; most of them is OK to be adjusted later anyway ?

[if the 'sample manufacturing company.bz2 db dump is supposed to serve this purpose, then I withdraw
this question... but some indication of how to install it would be nice. Also will it work on 1.8CE?]

Sorry for long-ish question,
Kind Regards,
Lukasz

Re: pERP trunk + EGW 1.8 + insufficient initial data = ... Also: wiki page not found, Also : what is a 'sequence' ???

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Lukasz Sokol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Developers, Nathan,
>
> The story of pERP (trunk this time) and EGW CE 1.8 continues...

> There goes the first question : what is a sequence and what does it mean? Why do I need it?

"Sequence" is the name used for the main sections you'll find on the
balance sheet and income statement.  They can vary by country.  In
North America:
Asset, Liability, Equity, Expense, Income.

>  e.g. demonstration installation off people who have never had anything
> to do with accounting and so on ?

Been there for years, under 'resources' off the side of the wiki.
http://demo.projecterp.org
Of course everybody just pokes around in there so the data is useless,
but if you need to see how things work, it's a good place to start.

el_es el_es

On 10/09/2012 15:21, Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Lukasz Sokol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Developers, Nathan,
>>
>> The story of pERP (trunk this time) and EGW CE 1.8 continues...
>
>> There goes the first question : what is a sequence and what does it mean? Why do I need it?
>
> "Sequence" is the name used for the main sections you'll find on the
> balance sheet and income statement.  They can vary by country.  In
> North America:
> Asset, Liability, Equity, Expense, Income.

Aah.
Well thanks, this could be described somewhere :) Applied to my scheme
(unless other names are in use for UK?)

(btw, this is the only one that did not have defaults on my trunk pull, possibly
because I had installed pERP from tar before replacing it for svn trunk?)

>>  e.g. demonstration installation off people who have never had anything
>> to do with accounting and so on ?
>
> Been there for years, under 'resources' off the side of the wiki.
> http://demo.projecterp.org
> Of course everybody just pokes around in there so the data is useless,
> but if you need to see how things work, it's a good place to start.

I haven't been there at all, to be perfectly honest.
I have more-or-less an idea what the system should do/ what to use it for (had one semester
of ERP lessons at uni... 8 years ago. It was a student(s)-project-written application for the purpose
of teaching production control and management :) IYKWIM)

> Nathan

Lukasz